In my training about the successful business (section 2.4) I already mentioned the importance of introducing 5S.
This theme is likely to lie in production and quality assurance at the crossroads, nevertheless a very important factor that companies today are increasingly realizes.
My current training deal about the more commonly used method of organization of workplaces, with the 5S. This topic is closely related to the already published 5 Why and Lean Manufacturing (losses) topics.
Since the topic is quite large, I'll deal with it in more newsletters also scheduled so as to allow the introduction of a comprehensive picture.
|My 5S training (Part 1)
5S is the name of a workplace organization method that uses a list of five Japanese words: Seiri, Seiton, Seiso, Seiketsu, and Shitsuke.
The list describes how to organize a work space for efficiency and effectiveness by identifying and storing the items used, maintaining the area and items, and sustaining the new order. The decision-making process usually comes from a dialogue about standardization, which builds understanding among employees of how they should do the work.
5 S = Develop and maintain the quality of the working environment
First let's look at what it's called 5S.
||Seiri - Sort
- Remove unnecessary items and dispose of them properly
- Prevent accumulation of unnecessary items
- Remove all parts not in use.
||Seiton - Set
- Arrange all necessary items in order so they can be easily available for use
- Prevent loss and waste of time
- Make workflow smooth and easy
- Can also be translated as "set in order"
||Seiso - Shine
- Clean your workplace completely
- Use cleaning as inspection
- Keep workplace safe and easy to work
||Seiketsu - Standardize
- Maintain high standards of housekeeping and workplace organization at all times.
- Maintain cleanliness and orderliness.
- Maintain everything in order and according to its standard.
||Shitsuke - Sustain
- To keep in working order
- Also translates as "do without being told"
- Perform regular audits
2. Productivity is based on the 5S
The significance of 5S
The importance of 5S visualized in the following figure.
Let's look at the figure downwards, which is the most important characteristics of a company, they need to take into account.
- Control of Profit
- Production, Quality, Deadline
- Operation, Equipment, Inventory
- Standardization, Management control
- Strong teamwork, High morale
- 5S, (Seiri, Seiton, Seiso, Seiketsu, Shitsuke)
Of course, the body, unlike the previous enumeration bottom-up.
Let's see text are listed, and what time is based on:
- One of the main objectives of the companies is the realization of profit
- To do this you need to control costs in production, quality and delivery times
- They are based on the operation of the equipment and standardizing the management and control of inventories
- Which based on the strong teamwork, high morale and security
- But in any activity which can be observed in the company of 5S is the foundation and starting base
3. The significance of 5S
I illustrate it in the following figure, to whom (right) the companies have to be involved and the goals (left).
A company that implements proper 5S.
- PRODUCTION growth
- good QUALITY
- low COST
- on-time DELIVERY
- good SAFETY
- good corporate MORAL
- Middle managers
- Senior management
The production, quality, cost, delivery, safety and ongoing activities in the field of moral improvement to be achieved, which is important both in mind and held the top management to the employees for all.
4. The introduction of additional targets
Following flow chart shows how to reach with introduction of the 5S future goals.
It is apparent that the key objectives of 5S we get to the ultimate goal of the company through the direct targets.
5. The characteristics of relationship between good business and 5S
Characteristics of a good corporate are the following:
|Do not loiter
As marked in the figure above, the base of the 5S is 3S, which means: Seiri, Seiton, Seiso.
|5.1 Good corporate mindset
- Other than normal things you notice
- Sensitive to the deviation from normal
- Do not loiter
- During the work during free time, when the work is not carried out effective working of the machine tool and cleansing deals
- Valuable commodity
- The study assesses and evaluates the machines and tools, and taking care of them
- Precious Time
- The study considers the time value of good order and accessibility does not cause loss of time
- The right mindset acquired employees appreciate each other's work
- Waiting for instructions but do not self-motivated
- Acting without supervision
|5.2 Good corporate awareness
- The least amount of effort to reach the desired result
- The transfer of assets or sale would bring savings in unnecessary
- Regular cleansing of machinery, tools, quality can be protected
- The machines and tools appropriate arrangement of workplace accidents can be prevented
- The 5S thinking leads to the efficient use of time
- A poor work environment is essential for the maintenance and preservation
6. The standard introduction of 5S
In the training I deal only the first 3S.
- The work area of unnecessary equipment, machinery and equipment removal.
- The arrangement of necessary things, clean up the work environment including.
- After that, the training of workers is inevitable that it will not only remain a one-off activity but a process of self-motivated and carried out independently follow the principles of the system.
Learn all point to the introduction I will come back in a following part of my training.
A) The 5S goal: to find problems faster.
B) 5S Audit and monitoring activities
Let see two posible tools.
C) 5S is NO MORE WORK, but another way to carry out everyday activities
D) An operation will not complete until you are completely ready to be able to use next time.
The illustration shows the relationship between the elements of 5S. It also shows the 5 S already has an impact on the previous, these checks and controls.
Soon, you can read more on the subject of my next training material.